Media and Communications Strategist, Department of External Relations
Legal Internships and Externships
For non-AAUP vacancies, please visit our career center.
Department of External Relations
Media and Communications Strategist--Washington, DC, Office
The American Association of University Professors (AAUP) is pleased to announce a job opening for a Media and Communications Strategist in the Department of External Relations, which is responsible for the AAUP’s communications with members, leaders, and the public. The department and the Media and Communications Strategist also provide staffing for the AAUP’s two sister organizations, the AAUP-CBC and the AAUP Foundation. This is an exciting opportunity at a critically important time for the AAUP and in the academy. We invite you to join us in our vital work to defend and advance the academic freedom, shared governance, due process rights, and economic security of the profession. This position involves building and maintaining positive public relations between the AAUP and its two sister organizations and the news media, AAUP chapter staff and leaders, members, and the public.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Primary responsibility for outreach to the media, including writing media releases, story pitches, and op-eds; maintaining and building relationships with reporters; and training other staff and members to be spokespeople.
• Primary responsibility for logistics of the media program, including sending out media releases, maintaining and updating a reporter database, tracking media coverage, and fielding incoming media queries.
• Primary responsibility for designing and implementing a social media strategy aimed at raising awareness of AAUP activities and engaging members and prospective members. This includes maintaining Facebook and Twitter accounts for the AAUP; making recommendations about other social media use; analyzing performance data; and creating, editing, distributing, and optimizing relevant text, graphic, and video content.
• Maintaining the media sections of the websites, including selecting and posting news items.
• Creating marketing pieces, including brochures, letters, e-mails, and web copy promoting AAUP membership, fundraising, events, publications, and activities.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Experience and demonstrated skill in media relations and social media strategy.
• Marketing experience preferred.
• Self-starting, with ability to manage projects with minimal supervision and handle multiple priorities and tasks in a deadline-driven environment.
• Two to five years of work experience in media relations, strategic communications, or related field.
• Work experience with membership organizations, labor unions, and/or higher education environment preferred.
• Superior written and oral communication skills.
• Computer proficiency, including working familiarity with MS Office suite and the ability to learn to edit and post on WordPress and Drupal websites.
• Bachelor’s degree required; MA in related field preferred.
Salary range: $52,000 for minimum qualifications. Higher salary for preferred qualifications. Generous benefits package.
This Media and Communications Strategist position is categorized as an associate position in the Department of External Relations and is part of the staff union bargaining unit. This is an exempt position and not eligible for overtime pay.
To apply, e-mail a résumé with cover letter to email@example.com. Please include your name in the subject line of the e-mail. No phone calls, please. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until position is filled.
The AAUP is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, disability, race, color, religion, national origin, marital status, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, personal appearance, family responsibilities, genetic information, matriculation, political affiliation, or other characteristics unrelated to professional performance.
Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.
Legal Internships and Externships
The American Association of University Professors (AAUP) is seeking qualified interns or externs for summer or the academic year. The AAUP is a national organization founded in 1915 that is active in areas including intellectual freedom, due process, professional ethics, and university governance. Membership is about 46,000 faculty members and scholars from all disciplines.
The intern and extern positions will be in a legal department currently staffed with 2 lawyers and 1 paralegal and involves significant in-house legal and other support work for the Association. The legal office files amicus briefs in higher education cases of national significance, provides legal information on a wide range of issues to staff and members all over the country, and acts as a resource on higher education issues. Staff and volunteer lawyers are experts in such areas as academic freedom, discrimination, affirmative action, intellectual property, and employment. Interns and externs can expect to be asked to research and write on a variety of legal issues including First Amendment, higher education, collective bargaining, election, tax, labor, personnel, financial, and contract issues.
Past legal interns have helped research and write amicus briefs in the federal court system, updated a multi-state survey on faculty handbooks as employment contracts, and researched and written legal outlines and fact sheets on topics such as “Faculty and Defamation Suits,” “Faculty and Family Leave Issues,” and “Academic Freedom and the First Amendment.” Externs should be in their 2nd or 3rd year of law school and be available to work approximately 15 hours per week. Summer internships are available to students who have completed their 2nd year of law school. AAUP legal staff will work with interested applicants to arrange for public interest stipends, academic credit or pro bono credit from their law school.
Qualified applicants will possess excellent analytical skills
strong writing and research skills
interest in higher education issues
enthusiasm and initiative
To apply for an externship or internship position, please send a cover letter, resume, official transcript and writing sample to:
AAUP – Legal Department
ATTN: DC Internship Program
1133 19th St. NW, Suite 200
Washington, D.C. 20036
firstname.lastname@example.org (If applying by email, please address the Subject line as: “DC Internship + Your Name”)
For more information, please see AAUP’s Legal Program.